Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Reviewing a holiday gift - Vamp Camp

I recently got my self an early holiday gift. The audiobook version of Wynn Wagner's 2010 book Vamp Camp. This was of course after Wynn sent me a copy of the novel after I expressed an interest in his writing and the fact that in Canada the book was available as a electronic book or in hard copy (please allow several weeks for delivery).

Just to honest, I have know Wynn for a decade before he wrote this book and he does not know that I am decided to write a review of the book. And now onto the review..

Vamp Camp

Vamp camp technical details: (hard copy)
  • Paperback: 210 pages
  • Publisher: Dreamspinner Press (Jan. 3 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1615816143
  • ISBN-13: 978-1615816149
  • Product Dimensions: 1.1 x 22.6 x 15 cm
  • Shipping Weight: 181 g
This is the first in a series of four books that centers on a newly created Vampire and his journey of discovery for both his new powers and responsibilities and a new love.  This book is nothing like the writing of  either Anne Rice or like the 'Twilight' series and set the genre in a whole new vein (sorry about that). 

With a solid plot that is laced with wit and humor, it is a great read thought the well written steamy bits (sex) made reading the book on mass transit a little humorous trying to readjust discretely. Though I thought that the book was a little short at only 210 pages, I have to admit that if the book was any longer, it would have to be shipped with a complementary towel to help with the clean up (especially after the end of Chapter One).

Most recently, I saw that the book was now an Audiobook available on Itunes or audible and it is truly unabridged (cleanup in chapter One). I just might upload the book onto my roommates audio player too. That way I will not be the only one requiring readjustments on transit.

I look forward to reading the rest of the series in hard copy thank you since right now I don't need yet another electronic gadget and I do know that the continuing story will be more than worth the wait for delivery. (I wonder if they will come with a towel or two?)

For those who are not the patient type all of the books in the series are now available as E-books through Amazon (thank you for the image) and Chapters (in Canada) as well as other retailers in the US.

For more of Wynn's writing (both fiction and non) I recommend you surf on over to his website at:
http://www.wynnwagnerbooks.us/

For the audio books specifically:

http://www.wynnwagnerbooks.us/audiobooks/


June 2014 update:

Since I first wrote the above review I should tell you that I have purchased the next two books in the series. From discussions with the author the four book tale that originally he only plan to write three books and the forth just happened. He also told me that the series will not get a fifth volume. Then again Douglas Adams said the same thing for his series of The Hitchhikers Guide of the Galaxy".

Book two and Book Three carried on the campy prose and the very erotic sex scenes that started in book one. I just hope that the roommate finally finds the time to read the three books (with a towel handy). I guess that a some point I'll purchase the final volume to see how everything ends.

July 2014 update:

After getting the forth volume (as a birthday present for myself), I was able to find plenty of time to savoir the book with all of its twists and turns in the plot. No I am not handing out spoilers other than you will meet a rather unusual feline (displayed on the books cover). The forth and final book ties up the few loose ends that the third book left and I don't think that there will ever be another one. Thought I would not mind writing a side tale to the books (with permission of course).

I just hope that at sometime in the future I see the author so I can get the four volumes signed.

No comments:

Post a Comment